As with people early recognition of cancer can dramatically increases the chance for a successful recovery. Listed below are signs that can alert the owner that there may be a possibility of cancer in your dog. As always if you are concerned about the health of your vet consult with your veterinarian.
- Fever. Pets with cancer may run a fever as their body tries to combat the disease.
- Non-healing wounds. Cancer can cause delayed healing.
- Pain. Bone cancer can cause lameness, stiffness or hesitation to exercise.
- Change in water intake. Animals with cancer may drink more water more often and urinate more often.
- Change in eating pattern. Animals may show a loss of appetite and/or weight loss.
- Bleeding or discharge from the mouth, nose, urinary tract, vagina, or rectum.
- Intestinal issues. Vomiting and diarrhea could accompany cancer.
- Respiratory distress. Symptoms include coughing and difficulty breathing.
Related Article: 5 Tips for Your Healthy Pet Resolution>>
These signs are intended only as a guide not a diagnosis. No single sign listed is an absolute indication of cancer. Also not all pets will display symptoms of a tumor until it is already quite large in size.